B. A. Islamic Studies
Programme Philosophy and Objectives
The Department, as one of the components of the University, upholds and cherishes the general philosophy of Bayero University. In addition to that, all our courses are designed to expose students to Islam as a culture, religion and civilization. It aims at describing Islam as a very sound and complete way of life, using Islamic original sources. Serious efforts are made to maintain rigorous scholarly approach to the problems that confront the Muslim community in general and the Nigerian Muslims in particular. These courses include studies of the Qur’an, Hadith, Islamic law, Islamic thought and Philosophy; and as well as Islamic History and Political Thought and many other courses of which their details would be provided later. Instruction in the Department is carry out by teaching, lectures, tutorials, educational visits and textual studies of some important Islamic manuscripts.
The aims and objectives of Islamic Studies Department could be summarized below:
- To acquaint student with the broad outlines of Islam as a religion and a way of life.
- To prepare student to understand Islam as a culture and civilization.
- To describe Islam to student according to its own original sources, particularly the Qur’an and the Sunnah of the Prophet(S.A.W).
- To maintain rigorous scholarly approach to the problems of contemporary Muslim communities with particular reference to Nigeria.
- To place Islam in the context of other world religious traditions especially those that relate to Nigeria.
- To prepare candidates that would adequately serve the staffing needs of schools and colleges in Nigeria
- To give student sound academic grounding for postgraduate studies in the future in more specialised areas like Hadith, Fiqh and Qur'anic studies.